The Sexual Assault Centre for Quinte and District recognizes that sexual violence is primarily directed towards women and children and is anchored in the social, cultural and economic disparities of our society. It seeks to eradicate this imbalance through education and social change. The Sexual Assault Centre strives to provide a comprehensive range of quality community education, training and advocacy for the area of Hastings and Prince Edward Counties
- The Sexual Assault Centre believes in ensuring the safety of survivors.
- The Sexual Assault Centre believes all services offered will be consistent with the legislation and conditions of the Human Rights Code.
- The Sexual Assault Centre will be non-judgemental.
- The Sexual Assault Centre supports the right of the survivor to self-determination and choice.
- The Sexual Assault Centre believes that the rights and dignities of all individuals should be fully supported.
In 1987 an Emergency Health Care Needs study found a great need for sexual assault services in the counties of Hastings and Prince Edward. In 1990 some local women, including women from the Safe Homes agencies, formed a committee to solicit funds for sexual assault services. With funding from the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services this committee hired a local therapist to facilitate a group to train other therapists to work with survivors of sexual violence. In addition, they were able to obtain funding from the Ontario Women’s Directorate to provide Hastings and Prince Edward Counties with a Sexual Assault Protocol and Community Service Plan.
Next, the committee secured an $80 000 grant from the Ontario Ministry of Health and hired a co-ordinator for the Centre. The Sexual Assault Centre for Quinte and District officially began operation on June 24, 1991. In addition to Centre activities that are focused in the Belleville area, sexual assault services and co-ordination of services are provided to outlying areas.
SACQD services extend throughout Hastings and Prince Edward Counties, through locations in Belleville, Trenton, Picton and Bancroft.